Polonnaruwa is located in the east central dry zone and east of Anuradhapura. This is the medieval
capital of Sri Lank which the most beautiful historical sight city surrounded by triple circuit of walls by
king parakramabahu l. Citedel contained palace, administrative buildings. City stood 5km forfeited and
14 gates. Anuradhapura and Polonnaruwa both the kingdoms were removed by south Indian attacks.
No pre historic research done up to now. In 06th century this area was known as Vijitha Grama. It was
the city established by vijitha who arrived with king Vijaya.
Polonnaruwa had been a sanctuary for the Anuradhapura kings and leaders during Indian invention.
Polonnaruwa converted into stronghold of kings.
Council chamber parakramabahu l
Palace of the king parakramabahu l
Terrace of tooth relic
Vatadageya circular relic chamber
Nissanka latha mandapaya
Atadageya temple of the tooth relic of vijayabahu l king
Hetadageya temple of the tooth relic of nissankamalla king
Sath mahal prasadaya
Galpotha stone inscription
Thivanka image house
King Parakramabahu statue
Rajarata the kings’ country Anuradhapura is an important early kingdom in the north central
region of Sri Lanka. Anuradhapura was the principal city of Sri Lanka. For nearly 1500 years and
home to 126 kings of the island.
There had been found archeological remains of 3000 -4000 monastic units city is surrounded by
lakes to west and rivers to east.
Earliest settlement in Anuradhapura dates back to Stone Age 900 Bc. Last king vijaya’s minister
“Anuradha” settled near Malwathu and Aryan settled in Thambapanni. Southern of
Thambapanni is “Anuradha Grama” which is Anuradha Pura today.
At this period temple became nucleus of agriculture production and economic control land
owned by the temples which was donated by the pious kings. This lands were cultivated by
tenant farmers. Buddhist and Hindu temples played an important role and you will be able to
see May ruins.
Important attractions are,
Ruwenweli Maha Stupa
Royal pleasure garden
Abayagiri Stupa Moonstone and Guard stones
Golden rock is situate 3km from Dambulla town and 200 km from southwest of Sigiriya.
Dambulla is gigantic granite outcropping rising 160m above souranding plan. Base of the rock is
1.5 km. Dambulu Lena is called as Swarnagiri Guha. There is a inscription written by king
nissankamalla 1187 ad to 1196 oral tradition says this temple was built in the 1st century AD by
king Valagamba ( Watta Gamini Abaya) as seven Tamils invention to Valagamba at
Anuradhapura region and he was unable fight and he came to Dambulla rock and regue in the
cave for 14 years. He collected the army and regained his thorn.
Regaining the power he want to show his gratitude and converted this cave into interior carved
beautiful Buddhist Temple. It exists 5 caves.
Ella is a small town in the Badulla district of Uva province 200 k. east from Colombo. Situated
elevation of 1041 meters above sea level. Area has rich bio diversity with numerous verities of
flora fauna. Ella is surrounded by mountains cloud forests and tea plantations a cooler climate.
Ella gap allows to view the southern Sri Lanka. The railway station is the 75th railway station on
the main line and 271 km from Colombo. It was opened in 1918. 2000 years old Doova temple
which Buddha image carved on a rock, Bambara Gala Peak, Ella Rock, Little Adam’s Peak,
Ravana Ella Falls, Demodara nine arch bridge are the main attractions.
Sigiriya is a world heritage site declared by UNESCO in 1982. Sight is situated between Dambulla
and Polonnaruwa cultural triangle. This is one of the Asia’s major archeological sight and world
heritage city. Sigiriya is a unique combination of 5th century urban planning, architecture,
engineering, hydraulics, garden design painting and poetry. It is centered on a massive rock
rising 180 meters above the surrounding plan and 360 meters above sea level. The rock is moat
probably a volcanic reaction during pre-Cambrian period with two starta. Sigiriya is still remains
much of its forest cover. Aligala rock shelter lies to the east of Sigiriya rock shelter pre historic
sight Mesolithic period with an occupation started nearly 5000 years ago.
Historical period at Sigiriya defines about 3rd century BC with Buddhist monastic settlement.
They were on the rock Steven western and Northern slops of the hill of the rock. 30 shelters
and donors inscription in some are under the deep ledge. Caves belong to 3rd century BC to 1st
King Dathusena 459 – 473 great builder of Anuradhapura kingdom non royal queens son
Karshapa murdered his father and seized his throne anadem his kingdom 473-491 removed
monks sent them to Pidurangala and after him subsiding himself this place given baxk to the
monks by his royal brother MOGGALLANA.